Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for considering the Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain SnowSports Academies. We are committed to making your lesson, clinic, or camp as easy, safe, and FUN as possible. The following list will provide answers to our most commonly asked questions. Should you desire further information, please contact our SnowSports Academies directly at 800.462.6963. The Boyne Highlands SnowSports Academy extension is 3056, and the Boyne Mountain SnowSports Academy extension is 6056.
- When should I (or my child) arrive?
- Should I make advanced lesson reservations?
- When should I get my rental equipment?
- What type of equipment rental do you offer?
- What are your Cancellation and Changes Policy?
- Where do we go for our lessons?
- What are your Pick-Up and Check-Out Procedures?
- Are lift tickets required and are they included in my lesson?
- What should we wear?
- Do I need a helmet?
- Will I ride a chair lift?
- Do the classes take breaks?
- Can I watch my child's lesson?
- Age requirement?
Didn't find the question you are looking for? Ask it here.
All SnowSports Academy activities begin promptly at their designated times. All students, including those that have pre-registered, must check-in at the SnowSports Academy Desk a minimum of 30 minutes prior your scheduled meeting time. Due to the number of skiers/boarders enrolled in activities, we are not able to accommodate late arrivals nor will refunds be issued for late arrivals.
- Group Lesson meeting times are 9:45am and 2:15pm* daily
- Group Lessons for teens & adults begin promptly at 10:00am and 2:30pm daily
- Kids Camp & Teen Experience meeting times are 9:30am and 2:15pm* daily
- Kids Camp & Teen Experience Lessons begin promptly at 9:45am and 2:30pm* daily
- Private Lessons: Begin hourly, based on availability
*Through December 19, 2013, all afternoon classes will meet at 1:15pm and begin at 1:30pm.
If you are renting equipment, please allow a minimum of one hour to be fitted for your equipment and to arrive at the meeting place for your lesson. To ensure a safe and enjoyable learning experience, your equipment must be sized and adjusted to each skier or snowboarder.
Advanced reservations are recommended throughout the winter season; especially during weekends, the Christmas holiday period, Martin Luther King weekend and President’s Day week. Phone reservations are available every day from 8:30am to 4:30pm. All products are subject to availability and may sell out at any time.
- Boyne Highlands: 231.526.3056
- Boyne Mountain: 231.549.6056
It is important that you arrive to your lesson with your equipment ready to go. This will ensure that the lessons start on time. Allow at least 1 hour to get your rental equipment and boot up before your lesson meeting time.
Snowsports equipment is available for daily use, including new skis, snowboards, and helmets. We offer the perfect fit for skiers and riders of all ages. During busy periods our rental shops have extended hours. If you have the opportunity, we suggest you pick up you equipment the day before.
- Express Rental: Plan ahead with our Express Rental program at Boyne Country Sports stores. With an advance reservation, your rental equipment will be waiting for you at Boyne Mountain or Boyne Highlands. Make a detour around the rental line, pick up your gear and hit the slopes! People can register for express rental at our Boyne Country Sports locations (Bloomfield Hills, Novi, and Traverse City). They are properly sized at those locations, pay at the store, and we have their equipment ready for the arrival at either the Boyne Mountain or Boyne Highlands. All must be done 48 hours in advanced.
- All Day and Multiple Day Lesson Tickets: We offer discounted prices for purchasing all day and multiple day group lessons. If you chose to take advantage of this discount, you must choose the times and days in advance. Once payment is processed for your group lesson you may not cancel or change the times and dates of the lessons. Refunds will not be processed for full day, multiple day products or any unused days. If you are unsure the number of days, or specific days you will attend class, please purchase a single session/single day of class.
- Advanced Reservations: Cancellations must be made 24 hours prior to the start time of your scheduled reservation. If you have lessons reserved for multiple days, cancellations must occur 24 hours prior to the start time of your first lesson or all lessons will be charged at full rate.
- Product Transfers: SnowSports Academy services and products are not transferable to another person, date or program.
- No-Shows: Full rate will be charged for missed days and all remaining days will be canceled. Products canceled after the start time are considered a ”no-show”.
- Weather & Snow Conditions: Weather and snow conditions are not viable reasons for cancellation.
- Refunds, Cancellations, Changes: We do not offer refunds, cancellations, or changes for tickets already purchased. Only in the case of a verified injury or illness are we able to process a refund.
- Boyne Highlands
- All First Time Skiers: Meet in the area by the Carousel, standing next to the cones with their respective ages on them.
- All Skiers who know how to stop and turn: Meet at the Wonder Carpet for a ski off, separating skiers by appropriate ability and ages.
- Snowboarders: Meet in the area next to the snowboarding flags with the appropriate levels on them highlighted by the tall blue snowboarding flag.
- Boyne Mountain
- Adults and Teen Skiers: After check in at the Guest Service Desk and Call Center, all lessons meet at their appropriate level signs in the SnowSports Academy Meeting Area.
- After checking your child in at the Guest Service Desk and Call Center, First Time Skiers ages 3-12 meet at the Learning Center. Young skiers who know how to stop meet near the bottom of Wonder Carpet. Young skiers who can stop, turn and are comfortable riding a chairlift meet at their appropriate level signs in the SnowSports Academy Meeting Area.
- All Snowboarders: After check in at the Guest Service Desk and Call Center, meet at the Blue Snowboard Flag located next to the green power box at the meeting area according to the appropriate level.
- Boyne Highlands: Pick up is in the Learning Center for ages 3-6 and in the SnowSports Academy meeting area for ages 7-12 at 11:45am after morning sessions, at 12:15pm if lunch is included and at 4:15pm after afternoon/full day lessons.
- Boyne Mountain: Pick up is in the same location where your child was dropped, at 11:45am after the morning sessions; at 12:15pm if lunch is included; and at 4:15pm after the afternoon/full day lessons.
You and your child MUST go through our check-out process with matching ticket numbers. NO ONE will be allowed to leave with a child if they do not display the correct ticket number. NO CHILD WILL BE RELEASED ON THE HILL. We do request that a parent/guardian stays on the premises while the child is in lesson.
Lift tickets are not included in camps, lessons, workshops or programs unless otherwise noted. However…
- Kids Ski/Ride FREE: Children 8 and under ski/ride free if accompanied by a parent or enrolled in the SnowSports Academy.
- FREE Beginner Areas: Both Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain offer FREE Beginner Areas. We do ask that you obtain your FREE Beginner Area Lift Ticket at the lift ticket windows prior to your lesson.
You should be dressed appropriately for the day and weather. Dress in layers; winter coats and snow pants are a must. Waterproof gloves and warm (not cotton) socks are highly recommended. You may want to consider bringing an extra change of clothes if it is wet out. Doing so will make for a much more comfortable ride home.
- For a detailed and printable list, please view our What to Wear page.
Helmet rentals are available for all ages and sizes which are highly recommended. For more information about safely wearing helmets during winter activities please visit www.lidsonkids.org or ww.skihelmetsafety.org.
Riding a chairlift depends on your level of skiing or snowboarding. If you are Level 3 or higher you will certainly ride the chairlift. If you are in a lower level and the class can turn and stop safely they may ride the chairlift at the discretion of the instructor.
This is at the discretion of the instructor. Breaks are not mandatory and depend on the weather and snow conditions.
You may certainly watch your child's lesson, but we ask that you do so from a distance. Please observe from outside the fenced area in the Learning Centers.
Children must be at least three years of age and potty trained to enroll in SnowSports Academy programs or lessons.