"Poof" it's 2017! 2016 was full of fun, friends, laughter, and some bumps along the way! There is nothing to do, but move forward and focus on what amazing things 2017 has in store for us. January here at Boyne Highlands is Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month, which is a great reason to start the year off right by learning a lifelong skill.
Top 3 reasons skiing and snowboarding is good for you:
1. It creates memories and stronger bonds with friends and family! By learning to ski or snowboard you are presenting an activity for the whole family to bond over. These memories you create will last a lifetime and could even help re-establish lost relationships with loved ones by having a similar passion!
2. Skiing/Snowboarding is an excellent workout. If your "new year, new me" involves losing some weight, being healthier, or just being more active, then this is a perfect opportunity for you to learn how to ski or snowboard. It is said that you burn approximately 250-1,250 calories per hour depending on your level of effort. These physical activities help tone your legs, glutes, thighs, hamstrings, and is an excellent core workout.
3. Physical activity reduces stress and can boost happy chemicals! Winter at times can be harsh and can cause people to become hermits, but skiing and snowboarding is a perfect opportunity to get outside and have a breath of fresh air! Exercise of this sort releases endorphins, which creates feelings of happiness and euphoria. Skiing and snowboarding is a great opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and can increase self-esteem, boost brain power, and inspire others!
An amazing program and opportunity is the SnowSports Academy at Boyne Highlands. Take advantage of Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month and learn with the best! Our famous Austrian-American SnowSports Academy has helped skier and snowboarders of all ages and abilities to take part in learning new skills they will have for a lifetime. The SnowSports Academy offers a variety of different lessons to take part in:
- Adult and Teen Ski Lessons
- Kids Ski Lessons
- Adult and Teen Snowboard Lessons
- Kids Snowboard LessonCross Country Skiing Lessons
- Speciality Clinics and Camps
Boyne Highlands has a wide variety of activities that are fun for the whole family during 2017! Friday, January 6 is the World's Largest Ski and Snowboard Lesson. This will be from 12:30pm to 2pm held by the SnowSports Academy. Come take part in history being made for the Guinness Book of World Records and have fun while doing it! Three Fridays during the year will be our Snowshoe Hike and Dinner events. Take a snowshoe stroll through peaceful trails and then reward yourself with a mouth-watering three course meal!
If your legs need a break from the slopes there are a variety of other activities held at the Adventure Center! Soar through the air on ziplines, relieve some stress on a horseback ride though scenic trails, ride with the groomers, or even rejuvenate yourself at The Spa at Boyne Highlands. We are looking forward to a wonderful year and seeing so many happy faces. Whether those happy faces are skiing, taking a zipline adventure, covered in a rejuvenating mask, or stuffing their mouth with delicious food is entirely up to you!
Happy New Year,
Abby◂ Return to News & Updates