So you made the decision months ago...you are packing up the family and heading to northern Michigan for the Fourth of July weekend. Yeah!!! I must say, you are in for a memorable time in a beautiful all-American setting. Now here is a little advice from a local of how to make the most of your weekend!
Let me warn you, I am about to overwhelm you with options and fill your itinerary to the max with must-do and must-see activities. You can pick and choose from this all inclusive list centered around our resort and forgive me if I miss anything. Here we go!
Friday, July 3
- Wake up and enjoy a nice breakfast at Everett's.
- 8:30am - If you are an early riser, make the trek to Petoskey and indulge on fresh produce at the Downtown Petoskey Farmers Market.
- 10am - Take a stroll through Boyne City's Waterside Art and Crafts Show in Veterans Park where you can pick up some handmade Michigan goodness.
- Noon - It's time for lunch and to cool off, we recommend taking a seat on the outdoor patio at the Beach House Restaurant on Deer Lake, then make a run for the lake. If the water is too cool, grab a paddleboard or kayak (FREE for resort lodging guests) for a little adventure.
- Time to get cleaned up for dinner. After a quick shower, spend some time relaxing in the courtyard. The kids can play some lawn games while you enjoy an adult beverage from the Alpen Hut (outdoor bar).
- Dinner - We have lots of choices at the resort, just depends on what you are in the mood for.
- 7:30pm - Head to Bay Harbor to hear the Petoskey Steel Drum band performance before their HUGE (it is Bay Harbor after-all) fireworks display over Little Traverse Bay.
- You just had a fantastic day!
Saturday, July 4 - Happy Fourth of July!
- Wake up, it's going to be an awesome day!
- 6:30am - Take an early morning run! Get registered for the 39th annual Independence Day Run in Boyne City.
- 9am - Grab breakfast at the Eagle's Hall annual breakfast in Boyne City or hit up the Farmer's Market at Old City Park.
- 10am - The first parade of the day kicks off in Boyne City. Sit back (don't forget your blanket or chair), relax, and enjoy the festivities.
- 11:30am - Don't miss the Children's Pie-Eating Contest in Veterans Park, on the waterfront. While you are there, buy a pie!
- Noon - Grab lunch downtown and stop by the Chamber's office to purchase some tickets for the 25th Annual Rubber Duck Race.
- 2:30pm - Watch those rubber ducks float down the Boyne River and hope that you have a winner!
- Time to rest up for a festive evening. Relax in the courtyard or sit poolside while you catch your breath.
- 6pm - If you are a parade lover, now is your chance to take in the sights and sounds of the Petoskey Fourth of July parade complete with a performance from the Petoskey Steel Drum Band, Young Americans, and more.
- Dinner - Who has time to eat?! Just kidding, there is no shortage of dinner options on- or off-property. Bonus of eating at the resort, enjoy an after-dinner s'more around the fire in the courtyard, then take the family on a wagon ride and scenic chairlift ride to the Eagle's Nest.
- Sunset - Make your way to the Petoskey waterfront to take in a "Million Dollar Sunset" or head to the Beach House for a spectacular evening glow. Either way, you won't be disappointed!
- Dusk - Petoskey fireworks shoot off over Little Traverse Bay.
- 10:30pm - Boyne City fireworks light up the skies over Lake Charlevoix.
- 11:30pm-2am - Dance the night away at the Snowflake Lounge with DJ Bill da Cat.
- Go to sleep!
This is a surefire way to have the best Fourth of July ever!!! I honestly think that a very motivated person could make it happen just the way I laid it out for you...if that's not you, I am sure you'll manage to make the day your own and one to remember.
I left out Sunday. Sunday would be the perfect time to snuggle in a little closer to your loved ones and reflect how fortunate we are to celebrate our freedoms in such a spectacular place.
Happy Fourth of July, may it be the best weekend ever!
Kari◂ Return to News & Updates